Friday, July 2, 2010

Terem


I had the chance to experience the Israeli medical system today. While walking near downtown, and not looking where I was going (probably distracted by a child or something that needed my attention), I somehow managed to trip and fall over one of the stone pillars that are set up all over Israel to prevent cars from driving onto sidewalks or into parks. Phil tried to catch me but I ended up with a cut on my head over my left eyebrow. Since head wounds bleed a lot, soon there were people offering kleenex, one man gave us an entire brick of baby wipes, and several were asking if we wanted an ambulance. (Thank you to all who helped us!) Phil had the presence of mind to refuse that request (surely more than we needed and would mean a long wait and large expense) and go to the nearest urgent care center instead. We decided that we’d better see if it needed stitches, so several concerned bystanders flagged down a cab and we were soon on our way to Terem, the Urgent Care Clinic. We were in and out of there in a very short amount of time, and my cut was glued, not stitched. While I was being taken care of, the kids played in the play area set up for children and had snacks at the snack bar. Maybe Arnett should think about those amenities for Urgent Care centers! While I was waiting I learned more about the Terem Centers: Dr. David Applebaum, a doctor who made aliyah in 1981, worked in the emergency department of Shaarey Tzedek Hospital and with the Magen David Adom ambulance teams in Jerusalem. He noticed how overburdened the ER’s were with non-emergency cases and in 1989 established the Terem Urgent Care clinics in several locations in Jeruslem. On September 9, 2003, Dr. Applebaum was killed, along with his daughter Naava, on the eve of her wedding, in a terror attack at Cafe Hillel. “Dr. Applebaum developed his philosophy that uncompromising commitment to Torah and active participation in modern life were complementary, and not contradictory aspects of serving God. He often said that one should glorify the mitzvah of saving a life in the same manner as one glorifies the mitzvah of the four species. His example will continue to promote healing, kindness, hope and strength for the Jewish people and all of mankind.” I certainly am grateful for his vision and dedication to helping others. Zichrono Livracha - His memory is a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment